Reference Number : 2011/UNU/HQ/FIN/FTA/TreaAsst/47United Nations University’s Mission:
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
We are looking for an outstanding individual with strong commitment to customer service and the potential to bring a significant contribution to the worldwide expansion of UN University’s operations.Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Treasurer, the main duties and responsibilities of the Treasury Assistant include the following:
- Assist with cash management, which includes monitoring of daily cash position, preparation of cash forecast and management of bank accounts;
- Record and reconcile the investments transactions related to the UN University’s Endowment Fund;
- Assist with contribution-related activities, such as identifying, acknowledging, recording and issuing receipts, updating income in the commitment control module and reporting contributions from donors;
- Review and approve vendor information in the ERP system;
- Create and maintain customer/donor accounts in the ERP system;
- Execute financial operations in accordance with UN University’s policies, UN Financial Regulations and Rules, and established operational practices, and ensure compliance with internal control requirements;
- Assist in the timely closing of the monthly and yearly accounts, and prepare supporting schedules for the Financial Statements;
- Assist in liaising with the auditors, banks and UN Headquarters;
- Contribute to continuous process improvements and the adoption of new technology;
- Assist in new ERP module implementation and continuous initiatives on systems enhancements;
- Participate in the adoption of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS);
- Any other duties as may be assigned or required.Qualifications and Requirements:
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or an equivalent field of study;
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience, preferably in an international environment;
- Fluent in oral and written English; knowledge of any other UN official languages is advantageous
- Good Excel spreadsheet skills and experience in handling ERP systems;
- Result-oriented, self-motivated and “hands-on” with the ability to prioritize work and multi-task;
- Proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.Remuneration:
Remuneration will commensurate with qualification and experience according to suitability of candidates and will start at salary scale of GS-5 level of the General Service salary scale for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, duty station in the United Nations Common System salary scale, plus benefits. For more information please visithttp://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/malaysia.htm.Duration of Contract:
This is a full-time employment. Initial appointment will be on a fixed-term appointment of 2 years with the possibility of renewal on a rolling fixed-term appointment basis, subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance.
Staff members of the UN University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the University. The Rector reserves the right to appoint the candidate to a level below that advertised.
This is a locally recruited post. Suitably qualified women applicants are particularly encouraged to apply.Starting Date:
By 1 February 2012 or earlier.Application Procedure:
Interested applicants should submit their applications, preferably by e-mail (08ZF)G;V4:8]]NY5J2LA:A@
), and must include the following:
- a cover letter setting out how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- a curriculum vitae with a completed and signed UN University Personal History form (http://unu.edu/about/hr/how-to-apply
). Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- full contact information of three references;
- the application must also indicate the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2011/UNU/HQ/FIN/FTA/TreaAsst/47).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted; unsuccessful applications can neither be acknowledged nor returned.